Click here to listen to the latest rail news on Thursday, 18th May 2023
InTheNews: The latest rail news on Thursday, 18th May 2023
The Department for Transport’s latest commercial pipeline includes a £5 million ground investigation survey contract for the East West Rail scheme, a year after it set aside £38 million for similar works.
An article on the Ground Engineering website says the Department for Transport (DfT) is looking to procure suppliers for a £5 million intrusive ground investigation survey contract for the East West Rail scheme, which aims to create a direct rail link between Oxford and Cambridge.
The East West Railway Company is overseeing the delivery of the project.
The latest contract was listed in the DfT’s updated commercial pipeline document, which includes all the potential contracts worth more than £2 million that it expects to progress in the next 18 months.
The train drivers’ union has revealed it has received “significant” pay offers for its members in Wales and Scotland, in “stark contrast” to the response from the Conservative government in Westminster.
The article in the Evening Standard says Aslef said it was recommending acceptance of offers from ScotRail and Transport for Wales (TfW) to its members.
A four-year TfW offer is for 8.9 per cent, backdated to April 1, taking drivers to £63,200, with another 7.9 per cent in April 2024, taking drivers to £68,300, Aslef said.
A further 4.1 per cent in December 2024 will take drivers’ pay to £71,000, while pay will increase in April 2025 by RPI inflation, the union said.
The one-year ScotRail offer is for 5 per cent, taking drivers from £55,264 to £58,027.
Workers on another major section of HS2 in the Midlands are being stood down as rephasing of the route continues to put hundreds of jobs in jeopardy.
An article on the Construction Enquirer website says site sources told the Enquirer that workers on the Balfour Beatty Vinci section between Birmingham and Litchfield were told this week that non-critical works are being brought to a “safe stop” on the route.
One said: “The workforce were given notice this week that resources will be reduced over the coming weeks on the jobs known as sub lot seven and eight.”
A survival appeal for one of the county’s major heritage attractions has reached £280,000.
An article in the Express and Star says the Severn Valley Railway launched the appeal last month, with the aim of raising a total of £1.5 million.
It came after a “double whammy” of “escalating costs and lower revenue” prompted urgent action.
Photo credit: Shutterstock