Tuesday, September 27, 2022
- Advertisement -
Home In the News 🔊 In The News | 12th August 2022 | Latest Rail News

In The News | 12th August 2022 | Latest Rail News

Click here to listen to the latest rail news on Friday, 12th August 2022



InTheNews: The latest rail news on Friday, 12th August 2022


The government has been accused of “washing its hands of responsibility” after Avanti West Coast slashed its intercity timetable and suspended ticket operations over the summer period.

Labour’s shadow transport minister Louise Haigh told Sky News it is a “disgrace major cities are being cut off” following the operator’s decision to reduce its routes connecting London to places including Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow.

Advertisement

The Department for Transport (DfT) is set to respond to a request from local leaders calling for a meeting to discuss the full reinstatement of the services, or failing that, a withdrawal of the operator’s contract.

Avanti has suspended ticket sales for travel from this Sunday until 11 September while a new schedule is finalised.


The Rail Delivery Group is warning passengers to only travel by train if it is absolutely necessary as some parts of the country will have little or no rail services during next week’s industrial action.

Repeated coordinated strike action by the RMT and TSSA unions will mean only around a fifth of services will run on approximately half of the network on Thursday 18 and Saturday 20 August.

The RDG said  “thousands of specially-trained and fully qualified back-up staff” will step in during the walkouts to keep essential services running.

Click here for more details.


A Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) report into a train crash in Kirkby says it happened because the driver was distracted by their mobile phone and their bag falling to the floor.

The accident took place on the evening of Saturday 13 March, when a Merseyrail train hit the buffer stop at Kirkby station, Merseyside.

The RAIB’s report said the accident occurred because the driver of the train did not apply the brakes in time. The driver was checked into hospital as a precaution, and nobody was hurt.

Click here for more details.


Finally, An Indian lawyer who was overcharged 21p for a train ticket has won a 22-year-long court battle for his refund, Metro News reports.

Tungath Chatuverdi had sued North East Railway (Gorakhpur) – a section of the Indian Railways, after he was charged 90 rupees for two tickets that should have cost 70.

Mr Chatuverdi attended more than 100 court hearings over the years and said the case took so long because of the slow pace of the Indian justice system.

He was finally given the money back last week, along with two decades worth of interest – a grand total of £2.90.

Photo credit: Shutterstock

image_pdfDownload article

Most Popular

Line reopens after landslip prevention work in Honiton

Network Rail has thanked passengers for their patience during last week’s five-day closure of the railway between Axminster and Pinhoe, which allowed engineers to...

South Western Railway is newest patron of Shaping Portsmouth

South Western Railway has announced that it is the latest organisation to become a patron of Shaping Portsmouth. Shaping Portsmouth is a Community Interest Company...

New scenarios boost virtual reality safety tool

The latest virtual reality technology is now available to light rail operators looking to further enhance safety as part of their recruitment and training...

New leaf-busting technology fitted to Northern trains ahead of autumn

Northern is fitting new technology to a number of its trains to help combat leaves on the line and stop disruption for passengers during...
- Advertisement -